January’s Advertised Specials – Click for Details
If you are thinking of having the custom window treatments in your home replaced with newer versions, you should consider Hunter Douglas motorized blinds. Not only will they look great in your house, they will be very easy for you to own and operate. In fact, the convenience factor is one of the strongest reasons you should invest in this technology, as you can set them yourself to open and closed based on the time of day and where you are in your residence. Whether you installed them in one room or all of them, you won't regret the decision!
Here are a few reasons why Hunter Douglas motorized blinds can improve your home:
- Control how much sun enters: Winter is a time of rising energy costs, which can help be reduced with motorized window treatments. When the sun is on one side of the house you can set the blinds to remain open — absorbing the heat — and have them close when it has moved to another side.
- Have a glare-free dinner: When you and your family sit down to enjoy a meal every evening, chances are you are dealing with glare from the setting sun. Instead of this discomfort, or having to leave the table to adjust the blinds, you can set them to have the blinds close at dinner time, and reopen later on if you like.
- Watch clearer television: If you notice that there is a blinding glare from the sun when you sit down to watch your favorite television show, close them with the touch of a button without missing one second of the action.
If your parents are getting a little bit older, chances are they can't do all of the things they used to be able to do. This can often include taking care of stuff around the house, whether that means making the bed or doing a full clean up from top to bottom. Just because your parents are aging doesn't necessarily mean that they want to leave their beloved home to move into a retirement community. Luckily, if this is the case, there are plenty of upgrades you can make to your home to make it more senior-friendly.
Here are a few of the options you have:
- Motorized blinds: One of the best upgrades you can make to your parents' house is have their current custom window treatments replaced with the kind they can control by a remote. This will allow your mom or dad to control the blinds with the touch of a button, instead of having to contend with any cords or strings.
- Stair lift: If your parents are having trouble making it up and down the stairs, removing this task entirely will make their days much easier. All you need to do is have a stair lift installed, so they will be able to transport themselves easily back and forth from the first and second stories.
- Wider doors: For those seniors who can only move around with the assistance of a wheelchair or walker, they might find that the doors are not wide enough to accommodate them. If this is the case, you might want to consider having the doors altered so all of the equipment can fit.
When it comes to putting together your house, there are many different stylistic touches you can use to add a bit of warmth to the space. You want your home to be a place that reflects your personality as well as your design tastes, which is why it is so important to focus in on the many details that exist. This is especially true as we get closer to Christmas, as you will want your home to radiate an atmosphere of happiness and joy while you host your loved ones for the holiday.
Here are a few items that every home needs:
- Custom window treatments: If you want to quickly revamp any room in your home, all you need to do is invest in new custom drapes or other type of covering. Not only will they help bring the entire design of the room together, the custom window coverings will be able to add an extra layer of privacy and security to your common gathering area.
- Good lighting: You want to be able to totally control the amount of light that comes into your home. If you want to block out some of the harsher lights that are on the street in favor of softer materials that can make your residence more homey, custom draperies are the best way to do so! That way, only the light you want in your home will be there.
- Personal touches: Especially during the holidays, you will want to have pictures out of all your guests. You can reminisce about the good times you have all shared together, as well as what the future might hold.
If you are looking to invest in new window treatments, be sure to schedule an at-home appointment with Ruffell & Brown!
Whether you are a new parent or have experience wrangling your small kids, one of the most important aspects of parenting will be keeping the little ones safe! Even if you are not aware of it, your home can present some hidden dangers that you will want to take care of in order to ensure that your children will be safe and comfortable no matter what room they are in. The good news is that you can improve the safety of your household with just a few simple steps.
Here are a few ways you can keep your kids safe at home:
- Custom window coverings: One of the best ways you can make sure that everybody is safe in your home is by investing in custom window treatments that don't have any cords. The window covering industry has been very adept at creating options that are cordless and okay for small children to be around. This is your best bet if you are investing in new treatments.
- Keep your furniture upright: In addition to the safe custom blinds, you can make your living room or any common areas even safer by anchoring furniture in place that could otherwise be toppled over — bookcases, armoires, entertainment centers. Firmly plant them to the wall or floor in an effort to prevent an accident.
- Store products safely: While you likely already do this, it is worth noting that you should be keeping any potentially harmful products such as cleaning supplies stored away where they cannot be accessed by your children.
Autumn is in full swing, which means that you are likely experiencing dropping temperatures and falling leaves where you live! While this is a wonderful time of year to appreciate the full beauty of nature, it is also one where damage can be done to your home if you are not careful. Maintaining your household is especially important during the fall, as it can be vulnerable to damage if the right steps are not taken. This blog post will delve into how you can keep your home in tip-top fall condition.
Here are a few tips for maintaining your residence:
- Caulk the windows: You don't want any rain or other gusts of weather impacting the interior of your home, which is why you should be sure to caulk and plug up any holes that you find surrounding your windows or doors. Leave no area left alone as you check for potential leaks.
- Cover the windows: Not only will custom window coverings help keep your home warm and protected from any harsh outdoor weather, they will also help tie a space together. The details of a household's decor can either make or break it, which is why you should invest in custom blinds that will complement your interior nicely.
- Keep the gutters clear: As the leaves change and fall, some will inevitably fall into your gutters, which can leave them clogged up. It is so important to make sure that your gutters are clean so they can do their work, as you don't want rain to get backed up and potentially damage your home's foundation.
If you are interested in purchasing new custom blinds for your household, be sure to schedule an at-home appointment as soon as possible with Ruffell & Brown!
As you likely already know, the kitchen is the space in your home where you and your family spend most of your time. Whether you are gathered for a family dinner, or your kids are doing their homework, the kitchen sees a lot of use on a regular basis. Now take a look around your own space — is it in need of a facelift? If it has been a few years since you last made any design changes or upgrades, chances are the answer is a resounding yes. All you need is a little design inspiration!
Here are a few tips for redesigning your kitchen:
- Custom window coverings: One of the most effective — not to mention easiest — ways to alter the look of your kitchen is by having new custom drapes or blinds installed. The window feature can really change up the atmosphere of your eating space, just be sure to pick a design that fits in nicely with the rest of the space.
- New hardware: Another subtle technique you can use to create the feeling of a new kitchen is by having all of the hardware replaced. New knobs for your drawers and cabinets can refresh the entire room without you having to spend a fortune on replacing the entire facade of the kitchen itself.
- Paint the walls: If you really want to change things up, you can paint the walls so they are a new color. This is one of the best ways you can create a new kitchen, as the color of the walls can truly transform the entire space.
If you are thinking about redesigning your house, your bedroom is a wonderful place to start. While it might not be a space that sees a ton of foot traffic, it is important for your bedroom to reflect your personality and taste, so it can be a place where you feel comfortable retreating to at the end of a stressful day. There are plenty of ways you can inject your personality into your sleeping area, as long as you know how to follow a few simple guidelines. This blog post will dive into how you can create the best bedroom possible.
Here are a few simple tips for adding personality to your room:
- Add reminders of your family: Your bedroom is your own personal space, which means you can fill it with as many family mementos as you desire. Line your nightstand with pictures of the kids or your entire family on vacation, so you can fall asleep with a smile on your face each night.
- Choose your favorite color: Even if your favorite color is something that might not be too common in interior design, you should still incorporate it into your bedroom however you can. Repainting the walls, adding new throw pillows or even picking out new custom window coverings are all ways your preferred shade can be present in your bedroom.
- Mix and match: Don't feel as if you need to stick to one theme or design route when putting together your bedroom. If there is a chair you come across that you really love that might not "fit" with the furniture you have, still invest in it! Breaking design rules is perfectly fine in the bedroom.
When it comes to choosing new custom window coverings for your home, you might not know where to begin. There are thousands of options out there for you to choose from, from the color and style of the fabric to the brand itself. Different rooms in your house will have differing needs for coverings — your bedroom would probably do better with thick custom drapes while only blinds are needed in the bathroom. Should you find yourself overwhelmed with the sheer variety you have in front of you, there are a few things you should keep in mind to help you out.
Here are a few tips for choosing new window coverings:
- Go with wood: If you are looking to soften the amount of light that comes into a room, Hunter Douglas wood blinds are your best bet. The simple wood design will be able to filter out the harsh light that you don't want to come into the room, without looking too heavy or burdensome on the windows.
- Try texture: To try and shake up the look of your windows, you should opt for treatments that have a bit of texture to them. This will add visual interest to the space, while still functioning as a way to keep unwanted light and onlookers out of your household.
- Use neutral colors: The best window treatments will be stylish but understated in a room. You should go with colors that are a little more subdued and blend into the background, so the shades of your couch and other fabrics can really pop. Avoid anything too bright or distracting for your drapes.
If you are in the market for new window coverings, be sure to schedule an at-home appointment with Ruffell & Brown!
If you have a small bedroom, it can often feel as if there is nothing you can do with the limited space you have. Even if you don't have a ton of room available to decorate with, that doesn't mean the process itself can't be fun. In fact, it will make every decision you make that much more important, because each item that you bring into your bedroom will be prominent in such an intimate setting.
One of the most important things you can do with a small bedroom is not make the space feel any more constricted than it already is. For example, when it comes to covering your windows, you will want to opt for custom drapes or blinds that aren't made of a thick material, but rather are relatively light. Overbearing custom window coverings will make the bedroom feel even more claustrophobic.
You will also want to keep pieces of furniture at a minimum to maximize floor space that you can use to move around. You will, of course, need your bed and nightstands, as well as a dresser for your clothing. But other than that, you should be very judicious with how you use fill the room — if something is not completely necessary, than you should think twice about including it at all.
Having enough storage space will also be important in a small bedroom. As best as you can, try and keep your items stored in closets and other rooms of the house. Anything that can be safely stored outside of your bedroom should be kept out, so you have room only for what is really important.
If you are in the market for new window coverings for your bedroom, schedule an at-home appointment with Ruffell & Brown today!
- Blinds & Shades
- Fabric Treatments
- Motorized Window Coverings
- Hunter Douglas Blinds
- Hunter Douglas Shades
- Hunter Douglas Shadings
- Hunter Douglas Panels
- Hunter Douglas Shutters
- Alustra Collection
- What’s New and Exciting!
- About Us
- Learning and Resource Centre