How to Choose Bathroom Window Treatments That are Both Attractive and Functional
When it comes to choosing bathroom window coverings, the key is to look for something that is durable and functional and that complements your existing décor.
Bathrooms are one of the rooms in your home where your choice of window decoration can make a big impact on the overall style. Generally, unless you are looking to do a big renovation, you are stuck with the fixtures and furniture your bathroom came with, so changing your window blinds is one thing you can do to stamp your flair on the room.
Bathroom window treatments need to do more than look good, though. Good bathroom window coverings should also provide:
- Resistance to damp
- Light Control
Ensure your bathroom window coverings are functional and look good by using an expert in custom design and fitting, such as Ruffell and Brown.
Read on for more information about how to choose bathroom window coverings and the best options to suit your bathroom style.
What Makes a Bathroom Window Unique to Cover?
Bathroom windows have some unique characteristics that make them different to dress than other windows in the home:
- Size: They are usually smaller in size, so require a covering that doesn’t overwhelm them.
- Environmental conditions: A bathroom is warm and damp a lot of the time, so any window covering must be resistant to water damage.
- Privacy: Bathrooms are one place where privacy is vital. No one wants their neighbour to see into this room.
- Light: Natural light is useful when applying makeup or other products. Finding a window treatment that balances light and privacy is ideal.
What to Consider When Choosing a Bathroom Window Covering
If you want to choose the right bathroom window treatment, make sure to consider the following points:
- How big is your bathroom, and does it have good airflow? Fabric blinds are susceptible to dampness, so are best used in larger bathrooms or those with fitted extractor fans only.
- Where is the bathroom window positioned? Is it next to the bath or shower or above a heater?
- Is your bathroom window overlooked? If it is, privacy should be your priority. Looking for a more permanent privacy solution? Here are 8 ways to add privacy to a bathroom window.
- Do you get direct natural light in your bathroom? Consider a shade that blocks glare while allowing filtered light through.
- Is your bathroom a place of function or a place for relaxation and self-care? Window coverings can help create the ambiance you prefer.
Bathroom Style Should Influence Window Covering Choice Too
Is your bathroom simple, with clean lines and pale colours, or do you have rich wood cabinets and decorative metallic accents?
The fixtures and fittings of a bathroom are not as easy to change as the accessories are, so it’s important that you choose a style of window covering that complements your current bathroom style.
For bathroom window covering style inspiration, check out these bathroom window treatment ideas from Hunter Douglas.
Of course, you also want a window covering that is practical and can hold up to the unique demands of a bathroom environment. Read on to see our top 5 recommended window treatments that are durable enough for a bathroom and the decor styles we believe complement the best.
5 Types of Bathroom Window Coverings to Suit Every Style
Best window coverings for bathrooms are those which are made from durable materials. Stay away from real wood and thicker absorbent fabrics to avoid damp-related damage.
To help you choose the right bathroom blinds for your home, we have rounded up our top 5 recommended window covering styles for bathrooms:
- Venetian Blinds (faux wood) – Such as Hunter Douglas Everwood Alternative Wood Blinds
These blinds have horizontal louvers which can be adjusted for good privacy and light control. The simple, timeless style of Venetian blinds suits modern, contemporary and classic bathroom décor so you really can’t go wrong with this choice.
- Shutters (vinyl) – such as Hunter Douglas Palm Beach Polysatin Shutters
Custom-fitted shutters provide maximum privacy and can stand up well to the extreme conditions of a bathroom. Shutters add a touch of class to both traditional and coastal-inspired décor, complementing features like roll-top baths and exposed pipes.
- Roller Shades – such as Hunter Douglas Designer Roller Shades
Available in an array of fabric colours and patterns, roller blinds look great in small and simple bathrooms, as they don’t overwhelm the window or room.
To ensure nighttime privacy, choose a dense fabric or upgrade to the DuoLite system, which combines two fabrics, one light filtering and one room darkening, in a single shade.
- Roman Blinds – such as Hunter Douglas Design Studio Roman Shades
Roman shades are perfect for adding a pop of warmth and colour to a classically styled bathroom, although they also complement a farmhouse or cottage style. Primarily more decorative than functional, they provide good privacy when fully lowered. Avoid heavier fabrics that are more prone to dampness.
- Woven Natural Fabric Shades – such as Hunter Douglas Provenance Woven Wood Shades
Natural fibres such as bamboo, grasses and jute are a good choice for bathrooms as they are naturally resistant to humidity. Woven fabrics allow in filtered natural light while retaining privacy day and night. They create a zen-like ambiance that works best in nature-inspired, spa-like bathrooms.
Ruffell and Brown – Victoria’s Bathroom Window Covering Experts
We can help guide you to the right style and design of blind, shade or shutter to best meet the functional needs of your bathroom as well as elevate the décor.
Our help doesn’t end in the bathroom either. Ruffell and Brown have been providing window covering solutions to families in the Victoria, BC, area for decades. Contact us or drop by our showroom today for a no-obligation conversation about your window coverings needs.