Front Door Window Treatments Can Add Privacy and Look Stunning
Front doors with glass panels and windows are attractive but may not offer the privacy you desire. Front door window coverings provide greater privacy, filter light, and add a decorative touch to your home’s entryway.
There are many options to consider when choosing front door window treatments, such as front door shades, blinds for front doors or even drapery.
If you are looking to add front door window blinds but don’t know where to start, read on for our guide to the 7 best front door window covering options for your home.
Front Door Windows Come in All Shapes and Sizes
The look of a front door can make a huge difference to the overall appearance of a home. Front doors with windows are modern, bright and welcoming to visitors. Front door windows include glass panels in the body of the door as well as windows that frame the door.
The most commonly seen front door windows include:
- ½ view, ¾ view or full view panels – These are glass panels within the door itself and may have a flat or arched top.
- Top light – A narrow rectangular glass panel at the top of the door.
- Sunbursts – A semi-circular window at the top of the door panel.
- Side lights –Full-length window panels located on one or both sides of the door.
- Transom – A rectangular or arched window located above the door.
Some front doors have a combination of these windows and panels. Custom front door window treatments are the ideal solution for these usually sized and shaped glass panels.
What are the Benefits of Adding Front Door Window Coverings?
If we choose a door with windows because we like how it looks, why should we cover them?
There are several benefits to adding window treatments to your front door, such as:
Increased privacy – Probably one of the major reasons people choose to cover door windows is the desire for privacy. Front door window blinds or shades prevent visitors from being able to see into your home and allow you to look through your peephole without being seen for added security.
Light-filtering or room-darkening options – Different fabric options allow you to choose how much light comes in via your front door.
Dull noise pollution – Front door window coverings can help to dull exterior noise from neighbours or traffic.
Prevent UV damage – If your front door is subject to direct sunlight, a front door shade can help to block UV rays that can cause fading.
Complement and enhance room décor – Front door window coverings are not just practical; they can add a decorative element to complement any style.
Add warmth and insulation – Window coverings on your front door can provide insulation that helps keep out the cold in the winter. Rich fabric drapery will make a room look and feel warmer too.
Add curb appeal and welcome visitors – Your front door is the first impression of your home – welcome guests with a beautiful entrance.
What to Consider When Choosing a Front Door Window Treatment
When deciding which front door window treatment is the right one for your home, consider the following:
- Heavy foot traffic? – If your front door is always on the go, coverings that are more obtrusive such as heavy draperies, may not be the best option.
- Do you get direct sunlight through your front door? Consider a light-filtering fabric shade for UV and heat reduction.
- Does your door open directly into your living area? Privacy may be the priority in this case. You may wish to consider drapes to close the room up at night.
- Do you want some view-through? A louvred covering, such as a horizontal wood blind, offers the option for view-through while retaining privacy.
- Remember to consider the view from the outside. This article by frontporchideasandmore.com includes examples of what many front door window covering ideas look like from the street side.
- Do you need to coordinate with other front-facing windows?
- What kind of style do you prefer? Front door window coverings are available in simple modern designs or bright, flowing fabrics.
- Do you have hard to reach windows? A motorized operation is a good option for hard-to-reach windows such as transoms.
7 Best Front Door Window Coverings
Here are our suggestions for the best 7 front door window treatment options:
- Roman shades – These decorative shades are great for privacy and can block light effectively. Available in many styles, from sleek and modern to soft and full. The neat stacking style works well on shallow door windows.
- Woven wood shades – Good for privacy while allowing filtered light into the home. Natural textures are a good bridge between the interior and exterior.
- Drapes – A good option for room darkening and draft prevention, drapes offer the chance to bring more decorative drama to your entryway.
- Cellular shades – These insulating and energy-saving shades are a good choice for unusually shaped windows such as sunbursts or arches. They provide good privacy while retaining gentle natural light.
- Horizontal Blinds (wood, faux wood or metal) – such as Hunter Douglas Parkland wooden blinds, are an innovative, timeless option. The tilting louvres offer ultimate control over privacy and light.
- Roller shades – These simple fabric shades roll up into a headrail for a neat, unobtrusive look. The fabric sits close to the glass so it won’t interfere with handles and locks.
- Shutters – Real or faux wood shutters are a classy option to complement any décor style. The fixed louvre options provide excellent privacy and are available for semi-circle or arched windows.
Ruffell and Brown for Your Custom Front Door Window Treatment Needs
The right front door window coverings can add functionality as well as beauty to the entrance of your home. Ruffell and Brown Window Treatment Centre offers front door window treatments in a wide range of styles, designs and colours to suit every need and taste.
With custom window coverings, it is possible to match front door blinds to window treatments used throughout your home for a cohesive look. To find out more about what options may best suit your front door, visit our Victoria, BC, showroom, or contact us today.